New #Disintermedia blog post; 'Can Your Organization Help Save the Free Music Archive?':
#FreeMusicArchive #FMA #CCMusic
Some #GoodNews from the #FreeMusicArchive. Details are sketchy, but what they can tell us for now is that the site will *not* go down on Dec 1. Uploads are still suspended for now, and their collection is still being mirrored by #Archive.org, which is good anyway. #WatchThisSpace
Well, based on my preliminary research, to mirror the FMA we need:
1. An estimation of the size of the FMA (number of tracks, and total size of files)
2. A funkwhale instance were we can import the music
3. A script to crawl/download the whole archive
4. Permission from the FMA to run the script (since it may increase their bandwidth cost)
5. Funding to cover the hosting costs, if relevant
@funkwhale they've specifically asked that people not to scrape the site. So the people to talk to about both the size of the FMA collections, and how to get a copy, would be the folks at Archive.org who are doing an official mirror. See:
@funkwhale Archive.org might also be approachable about providing hosting for an instance of #FunkWhale serving the #FMA collection - and potentially other libre music collections they hold - to the #fediverse. Again, the folks working on archiving the FMA seem like the best people to talk to.
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!